Preparing for storms
People living in our communities who are senior have a wealth of knowledge, information and networks at their disposal when it comes to planning for, responding to and recovering from storms.
Talk to the people who have lived in your area for a long time about the history and impacts of storms locally. You can gain valuable information from people who have experienced these events in the past.
Sometimes though, the elderly need assistance as well.
All the information on preparing for, responding to and recovering from storms is relevant to elderly people. The only difference is sometimes they may need some further assistance from family, friends, neighbours and carers.8 StormSafe tips that can help you prepare for storms.
Preparing yourself: tips for seniors
- Identify your own capabilities and any support or assistance you may need
- Identify and speak with relatives, neighbours or friends that can help provide support during a storm
- Identify a support person
- Prepare a Home Emergency Plan with your support person
- Give your support person a copy of your Home Emergency Plan
- Speak with your care or service provider
- Prepare an emergency kit
Consider as part of your Home Emergency Plan:
- A list of your support persons and their contact details
- Contact numbers for your care provider and doctor
- Instructions on how to turn off your electricity and gas
- A list of what is in your emergency kit and where it is located
- A list of locations for friends, relatives and neighbours that you can go to
- Your evacuation plans if you are required to leave your home
- A list of items that need to be raised if flooding occurs
- A list of dangerous or hazardous items around your house
- Instructions on how care will be provided to your pets
- Information on where to find the latest weather forecast, Severe Weather Warnings and Severe Thunderstorm Warnings
- A description of any medical issues or disability
- A list of any essential medications or equipment and instructions for their use
- The location of disability related supplies and any special equipment you require